Friday, August 31, 2012

Hole de Espana-Marbella to Sevilla (via Ronda)

In my last post I said we would be better prepared this time with directions and maps.....well we thought we were.  Read on to see how our day went.

We woke about 9 to the smell of smoke which l smelt the whole night whilst sleeping but thought it was just people smoking.  One look at google and our balcony we learn that the mountains behind us are on fire and towns have been evacuated and people got burnt.  So we run down to reception to determine what steps we need to take as we were driving to Sevilla straight after breakfast and lucky for us the fire was towards Malaga and not the way we were going.  After breakfast we took off to Sevilla via Ronda which looked amazing based on some sites we had read and that it was.  For the drive to Ronda we had to climb up mountains and it was all cliffs and the car we had would not go any faster than 50km's, the air conditioning didn't work at 38 degrees and the poor thing struggled to climb up the mountain to get us there.  We arrived at Ronda and the town was small and cute.  We had to ask for directions as we had no idea where this place was and a lovely man was able to guide us.  Parked the car in a carpark (very steep carpark might l add) and we went off for a walk to take photos of this breathtaking view.
Some images from Google on Ronda After we took some photos and went weak at the knees from the height we went back to our car to head off to Sevilla.  It was steep to get out of the carpark and our car had no power and 3 suitcases in the back (about 70kgs) and us, I tried to get out up the hill and nothing....the thing would not move.  I was stuck in the tightest carpark in the world, weight, no speed and no idea how l was going to get this thing out. Panic set in.  I kicked Rachael and Ben out of the car as l tried again and nothing.  At this point I was going to through out the suitcases also.  But instead (lucky no one was behind me) I rolled back to where l paid and the cashier told me to 'jandare, jandare' (floored it or go) in Spanish but l knew what he meant due to all those cartoon shows l watched when I was little and floor it l did.  I floored it to the floor and finally I made it to the top with excitement and tears.  My hands were shaking , tears were rolling down my face (joy/fear/excitement, who knows why) and we were out of there.  I have never been so afraid or let a vehicle or situation nearly beat me like that.  Definitely one for the memory books.

So we head off to Sevilla and l have calmed down by now.  We watch the temperature 
outside rise to 39 as we struggle with the heat and we get to Sevilla where again we have 
another situation.  This time with the tinniest streets in the world trying to get to the hotel.  
Big mistake was not dropping the car off and then getting a cab to the hotel.  So we finally
find the hotel, thanks to Ben who had loaded a map on his iPad and walked ahead of the 
car like an escort letting me know which way to turn and where to go in the tiny streets and
we finally find the hotel by us stopping traffic and going down a one way street (I would call 
it a lane, cause the lane in Block Arcade in Melbourne would be bigger).  Not only was l 
sweating from the heat l was also sweating with our situation.  Get to the hotel, leave the 
car, check in and then go back straight away to get the car and to return it.  Were l left the 
car and trying to turn it around so we could get out, required the biggest 3 (or 30) point turns of my life.  I can not explain how tight this lane was.  Both Ben and Rachael navigated for 10 minutes while I managed to get out and head towards Hertz to return it.  Again we got lost and Rachael jumped into a cab at the lights (like The Amazing Race) so l could follow them to the place (which was just around the corner but we had no idea) and the car was left with
the biggest relief ever......then the guy claims that I hit the drivers side mirror (which wasn't marked on the paperwork for some reason) and that i had to pay for the damage......well one look is all it took for him to say "no problem" as l leaped at him about the air 
conditioning not working and the stressful day I had and the heat and to think twice about what he was saying.  I did see the mark on the mirror at the airport when I picked it up but they didn't care.  All was good and into a cab to the hotel to get some food and alcohol into us from a stressful but memorable day.  

Now sitting at Hotel Fontecruz where a siesta will be had before the evenings events.  I look forward to exploring Sevilla and just walking around these little streets and getting lost in it 
all.  Until next time Hola xxx

3 comments:

  1. You are in Sevilla the home on the HORSE.. dump those troublesome cars and get a horse each!! Plus a Burro each for the suitcases..

    Watch out for Barbers in Sevilla..lurking in those small laneways..

    The fires in Spain are even making the news back here. Sad to lose some of my country men even though we are smoking HOT !!

    If you get pulled over.. mention Maggie Cortes from Australia to the cops as she is related to all of them..

    Keep the updates coming.. maybe something other than CARS !!!

    Adios..

    p.s. Mex when you signoff it s Adios not Hola!!

    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. When you guys wake up today remember we are more than half way thru Father's Day so make sure you call your Dads!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dad. Have called home and for me it's Hola for everything....lol

    ReplyDelete